Building and Grounds | Fellowship Events | Office Assistance | Stewardship and Annual Giving | Foyers | Pastoral Care Ministries | Vestry
Stewardship and Annual Giving
An ancient concept, a steward is a person who is responsible for someone else's property, finances or affairs. The Church loves this word and uses it in two ways:
- To remind us that everything we have - our property, work, health, family and indeed our very life - is a gift from God. In this use, we are called to take special care of the world and ourselves, because we are responsible to the God who created them.
- To encourage us to dedicate a portion of our talent and resources to support the work and life of the church. In this second capacity, we invite parishioners to consider what proportion of their time, talent and financial resources they will offer back to God in thanksgiving for all they have been given. St. Christopher's has little source of income beyond the pledges and contributions of its people. There is a small endowment and a few small donations from outside groups that share our space, but almost all of our parish's day-to-day life and ministry is dependent on the gifts of its people.
- Each fall, we ask you to consider a financial pledge for the upcoming year so we can make plans and allocate resources responsibly.
- To make a pledge at other times of the year, please pick up information and a pledge card at the Welcome/Information Table in the Parish Hall or contact the church office at 708-386-5613.
- We encourage you to think of your pledge in proportion to your income. Statistics show the average pledge to churches is 2.6 percent of income; the biblical standard is 10 percent. You pick the percentage that's right for you.
- Personal checks are the most common form of pledge payment, but pledges can also be paid in cash (providing an offering envelope is used) and by automatic payment from your bank. To make gift of appreciated securities, please contact our treasurer Marty Dunlavey.
- Once you pledge, you will receive offering envelopes, a letter of acknowledgement, periodic letters updating your pledge status and a year-end tax statement summarizing all of your giving to St. Christopher's.